Tuesday 27 November 2012

The best friends I have

Are on the Internet. There's the ones I met through a holiday wish list appeal some 5 or so years ago who probably know more about me and what I'm thinking than my husband does. There are the ones that I speak to alot on Facebook who live minutes from me who I rarely actually see and when I do see them it's just a friendly hello and move on. Then there's a select group of people who I have met since B died who may not know that my favourite colour is purple and I am addicted to stationary especially mini stationary, but they at least have some idea of what this is like. My husband thinks I'm a little crazy that I go for weeks and weeks without talking to real in the flesh friends that I reserve contact with them for special occasions and the unexpected moments where I bump into them in the shops because I haven't had a chance to hide. The task my CPN has taken on is to encourage me into situations where I may make a new in the flesh friend - we shall see how that goes!

4 comments:

  1. I am the same, I spend most of my time on my own as seeing happy families makes me sad. I much prefer to be in the company of other bereaved mums, I have met a few now and always feel much more comfortable. I could be a new flesh friend, maybe we could meet up for lunch or something, I think we worked out that I am not far away (southampton) and would be happy to drive over towards you, its nice to get out! Jo xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you mean. I bumped into a friend at the grocery store the other day (a mother of one of Graham's friends) and as soon as she asked me how I was doing I burst into tears and couldn't stop sobbing. I have no doubt she felt that she had upset me, although I tried to reassure her that my crying was normal and not her fault. Still, it was so awkward. It's easier right now for me to avoid friends. With holiday parties approaching I think I'll probably just stay home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also try to hide in the supermarket and elsewhere. If they do see me then I will say hello. I think it's healthy and unhealthy to have so many internet friends. We need IRL friends too.

    I think it would be great if you and Jo could become IRL friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's really hard to make new friends now. Where do you even start with explaining who you are now?
    I think it would be lovely if you and Jo could meet. After all you are both lovely!
    Xxx

    ReplyDelete