Wednesday 2 January 2013

A question of culture?

I know that after B died a massive portion of blame fell on me, if I had waited to get my drink if I had insisted she stay with me instead of running ahead if I hadn't done a lot of things she wouldn't be dead. To be honest I accept that blame but I also see now that blaming myself absolutely won't bring her back so I try my hardest to not dwell on that part of it, to not focus on the what ifs.

The only person who has actually come out and said 'you should have gone with her' or questioned my actions on the day to my face was an American friend of mine who swiftly followed it with I would have never had put my child in danger like that despite the fact she has a 1/2 mile pond at the bottom of her garden and let's her children play out alone. I accepted her critisim of my parenting at the time because to be honest I accept that people may have that view as a way of saying I would never do it therefore my child won't ever die, it's a sort of false protection. We still communicate via Facebook and in her own way she has been supportive since B died, alot of the disagreements we do have are over our polar views on racism homosexuals God Obama and guns. . But that I think is partly down to the countries we live in, in my opinion the USA is so forward thinking in alot of ways and so backwards in others.

So for Christmas Day she buys her son a BB gun probably in length the same as his height, a gun that although isn't designed to kill can if used incorrectly and can harm. Her boy is two months younger than B, so approaching 4. I have to be honest I can't help but think I turn my back I'm a bad mother, you buy your son a gun and that's acceptable?

2 comments:

  1. I would have a hard time staying friends with her, honestly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly what I was thinking. How dare she? Place blame on you?

    How false, the illusion of control, of a life without accidents.

    She not only clings to it
    but to your face
    blames you for bearing the brunt
    of harsh reality.

    You are a more forgiving friend than I.

    Remembering Breanna,

    Cathy in Missouri

    ReplyDelete